And We're Back

Monday, August 26, 2013
The first three months of having three children about killed me.  I was mostly in survival mode, and I think I cried almost everyday, both in private and public.  I'm glad to report that the past three weeks have been pretty normal, and I'm feeling back to myself.  I can now say I enjoy being a mom again, because for a while I was pretty sure it was the worst job in the world, and way too hard for me to do.  Along the way I still took pictures and still wrote things down so I could record them eventually.  I think it was the combination of Hazel's tantrums, Hattie's curiosity, Niels' upset stomach, and my hormones that made everything so difficult.

My friend who just recently had her third child said that she felt like she was constantly putting fires out all day.  I completely agree.  I was just going from one thing to the next.  Let me give you a scenario of one morning.  We were headed somewhere, so while I was buckling Hazel's sandals Hattie was in my room.  I went to put Hattie's sandals on and found that she had taken a small hole that we had in our bed sheets and ripped the entire sheet open.  Then I left the room to pick up the baby because he was screaming.  A few minutes later when I went back into my room, Hattie had pulled out every baby wipe we own and they were all over my room.  I started cleaning those up while the baby was screaming and then I heard Hazel throwing a fit because she couldn't find some toy.    When we finally got into the car I had to fight Hattie to buckle up.  I remember wherever we went the kids were surprisingly good.  When we came home I had to take a few trips in the house.  As I came in I found Hattie standing in the toilet bowl with her shoes on.  I had to take her out and throw her in the bathtub to clean her in a minute because the baby was now screaming needing to be fed.  Then I heard Hazel scream from the bottom of the stairs that she peed her pants.  I had to throw her in the tub too, and the baby was still screaming.  

I felt like all my days were like this.  For the first two months Niels was very fussy and gassy and spit up a ton.  Hazel and Hattie both spit up a lot too, but they weren't fussy.  There was one week where it was projectile, which was difficult.  I had to change my clothes and his clothes a few times a day, even in the middle of the night.

  Hattie was getting into everything all day long.  If she wasn't in my site there was trouble.  She drew on our social security cards, she drew on the cabinets, she spilled cheese, nuts, cereal, yeast, you name it.  There were a few weeks where milk was spilled almost everyday between cereal bowls and cups.  Hattie was in the fridge cracking eggs on the floor.  I tried to get a shower one day when Niels was first born only to have Hazel tell me Hattie was on the baby.  I jumped out of the shower to find Hattie on top of Niels in the bassinet.  

Hattie has had a cold the entire summer.  She is our walking germ, but I'm not surprised with everything she touches and eats.  She drinks the water at the splash pad and picks up old snacks from other kids on the ground.  Her favorite toy is the plunger.  I have walked into the bathroom several times and she is playing with it.  One day I walked away from the bathroom for a minute while Hazel and Hattie were in the tub and Hazel yelled to me that Hattie had the plunger in the tub.  Gross!  Because she is sick all the time. she has gotten us all sick including Niels.  He is on his third cold already.   

I think the worst messes have been Hattie's three poop incidents.  We put her in her room for a nap and she took off her diaper and smeared it everywhere.  The first time wasn't too bad, but the second time was terrible.  Brendan was working both times and I had to clean it all up.  It was smeared on the walls, lamps, bed, books, rug, rocking horse, shelves, it was even on her sippy cup and lips.  It took a lot of time to sanitize and clean and I had to throw stuff away.  Two days later it happened again.  Brendan had scheduled me a pedicure because I had been through so much.  He came home to watch the kids and put Hattie in her room for her nap.  As I was leaving, I smelled it when I walked past her room.  Luckily I went and got my pedicure while Brendan cleaned up the mess.  We now put her in onesies when she goes down for a nap. 

Hazel's biggest problems for me were her fits, fighting with Hattie, and not cleaning up any of her messes.  She wouldn't even clean up the smallest messes.  One day she told me she knew a way not to pick up her toys.  She said, "Pray to Heavenly Father and ask him to be something that doesn't have to clean up, like a dog."  She would constantly fight with Hattie.  There would be hair pulling and biting.  And it seemed like everything was such a big deal that she would throw a fit over it.

Brendan also was very busy with work and his calling.  He had to stay the night at youth conference one night and another week he had to plan and attend scout camp for 4 days.  My sister Breeze left for the summer and Brendan's mom went out of town twice, each time for about three weeks, so I didn't have help some days when I was at my wits end. On top of all this we had to have our house rewired because it was a fire hazard, so I had no electricity for like a week.  We had extension cords going through the house to turn on a lamp and plug in burner.  I had no kitchen lights for a month and other problems.  Not to mention the workers coming in and out of my house.

With all that being said, I want to point out how much help I had from those around me, both strangers and friends.  One day I was at Costco having a terrible experience and the baby was screaming and I was literally in tears leaving the store with the kids and I heard a voice from a man behind me say, "Mam, can I help you?" I didn't want to turn around because he would see me crying.  He said it again and I briefly turned and said no, but thanks.  I clearly did need help though.  Then I finally made it to the car in tears and fed the baby.  I left the empty shopping cart behind my car with our pizza still in it.  I was sitting in the car feeding Niels when I heard a knock on my window.  I rolled down my window and there was a pretty lady in her 50's asking me if I wanted my pizza.  When she realized I was feeding my baby and was crying, she apologized for bothering me.  I could barely make out words to tell her not to worry about my pizza.  She asked me how old my baby was and how many kids I had.  I told her and she said, "You're a good mom.  It will get better" as she patted me on the back.  She then had her daughter put the pizza in the back of the car and she put my cart away.  After feeding the baby, I went to buckle him in the car seat and I heard, "Dana." When I turned around I saw my friend Tabitha coming towards me.  I was super embarrassed to be crying.  I told her I was having a bad day.  She offered to help with my kids.  She said she had some snacks for them.  She was very willing to help me, but I was just trying to get home as soon as possible.  Even though I was having such a hard day and feeling alone, as I was driving home I really felt that Heavenly Father was aware of me and there were people around me to help.  

Another time I was at Winco just with Niels and he was fussy and crying while I was in line.  A girl from my ward, who I had just talked to for the first time a few days ago in the mother's lounge, came up and asked if she could hold my baby or unload my groceries.  I had her unload my groceries on the conveyor belt and then she bagged all of them too.  I was at Sprouts another day shopping and I saw another girl from my ward and she asked if I needed any help.  Another day I was at the pool with the kids after Hazel's swim lessons and they wanted to play in the water and Niels was sleeping in his stroller.  I needed to be in the water with them, but didn't want to wake Niels.  I saw a lady from my old ward who was sitting in the shade and asked if she would watch Niels while I played with the girls.  She was there watching her grandkids and said she would love too.  I feel like I never run into people at the store and around town, but during this hard time, where I felt like I could hardly accomplish my normal tasks, there were people everywhere.  After these experiences, it has really made me want to try and be aware of others around me that may need help.

Well I'm pretty sure this is my longest post ever, and I don't even think people check out my blog anymore, but it's for my own memory keeping anyway. 
      

6 comments:

  1. all i have to say is I SALUTE YOU! The first few days of taking care of a newborn, all I kept asking myself was "How the heck to other women do this with more children!?!?" My eyes have been opened to how all-consuming motherhood is--and i only have ones tiny babe.

    also... those poop episodes with hattie. a friend of mine had the same recurring problem with her toddler, and she would put her in the shower afterward and hose her down with cold water! apparently that drove the message that playing with poop is BAD. hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your posts...they let me know that I'm not the only one going through this with my family...three kids is hard and we still have good days and bad days.

    Through it all I just try to remember that I LOVE my kids more than anything and try not to be so hard on myself for not being able to get everything done that I want to get done. I know that you're a GREAT mom Dana! And you have a BEAUTIFUL family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although you may not feel like it...every time I see you, you look like SUPER mom. You and your kids always look stunning. To the outside world, you always seem to have it all together.

    Lets hang out more! Or I'm happy to take your girls anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, at least now I don't feel quite as bad that I can barely handle my two! ;) No, but really, I'm sorry it's been such a rough adjustment. I hear some people struggle with 1 to 2 and some more with 2 to 3. I fear it will be our third that does us in because 1 to 2 wasn't as bad as I'd feared. Although we're on the other end of stress -- we've been trying for nearly a year to get pregnant with nothing to show for it. Trying not to totally freak out about it. It's been quite a stressful year, at least that's what I keep reminding myself.

    I'm sorry Niels has been struggling so! Have you ever hear of doTERRA essential oils? Maybe I'll write you an email about them instead of here in the comments. But just so you know -- Christian throws lots of fits and tantrums these days so I think he and Hazel are reading from the same playbook. I'm hoping it's the age. Who knew there were terrible 4s? And Pierce runs around dumping everything out, escaping from his crib and jumping off tables so he and Hattie would probably destroy the neighborhood if they got together.

    Hang in there! You make motherhood look so good. Really you do. Wish you lived closer so we could commiserate together. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sad/frustrating/funny/happy/defeated/triumphant/bewildered/wise post. Such is motherhood, right? You get some of all of it! I heard a quote that I'm sure I've already shared, but the gist is this: Motherhood is the only job that you want to rewind, pause and fast-forward all in the same instant. I couldn't agree more! Thanks for sharing your moments--the good, the bad, and the ugly. You are so far from alone, and are doing a terrific job of things! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me in tears reading your blog. I could feel how crazy it can be. How beautiful and honest. I saw a comment you had posted on the newsfeed of facebook and thought I'd catch up on what you are up to. It is so nice to know that you fall apart sometimes. We all do. And it is so nice to hear that you let people help you. You are doing a marvelous work and a wonder with your littlies. At this age, little ones are a lot of work and energy. My sister has four children (one who is autistic) and her kids do similar things (cell phone in the toilet, flour all over the living room and stairs, lotion poured out of bottles, camera thrown in the garbage, etc.) It is tiring work. You all are aloud to fall apart at the seams. Just be sure to be kind to yourself and make sure you do something for yourself each day and let others help you. I currently teach 28 five year olds. At times I have to get them down from the tree, find out who pee'd on the bathroom floor, pull out the library books that were put in the urinals, break up the fights, restrain the child who is attacking another child, etc.Some days I am just tired out. Know it is okay to ask for help. It blesses their life too. Some of us who don't have children yet love to take part in the chaos. Thanks again for sharing. That was an awesome blog entry. You are doing a great job (by the way). P.S. I love your pics. You look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design